By-laws; as adopted by the Kitchener-Waterloo OIAA, pursuant to OIAA Constitution Article 7
- These by-laws are the laws governing the Kitchener-Waterloo OIAA: A Chapter of the OIAA, otherwise known as the K-W OIAA.
- The geographical location of the K-W OIAA is the greater Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding area.
- The K-W OIAA adopts the OIAA Constitution as written and will adhere to its guiding principles, ethics and not for profit status, with the exceptions listed in the by-laws below.
- OIAA members: as defined in the OIAA Constitution, located in the geographical area, are members of the K-W OIAA automatically, unless an alternate location is listed by the individual member.
- Social Members: The K-W OIAA is permitted to have social members. Social members shall be defined as non-OIAA members who are employed in an industry with a connection to claims adjusting, but not members as defined by the OIAA constitution. The decision to accept or reject a social member rests with the executive of the chapter. Social members will complete an application, pay the set membership fee and be required to keep in good standing. Social members have no voting rights within the chapter, nor are they party to financial information of the Chapter or the OIAA. Social members will adhere to the governing principles and code of ethics as written in the OIAA Constitution. Social members are able to hold the following positions: Social Director, Bulletin Editor, Social Media Director.
- Honorary lifetime members: The chapter executive may appoint any OIAA member as an Honorary Lifetime member of their chapter.
The chapter executive shall consist of an elected President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and 2 OIAA members as Directors. These must be active members as defined by Article 3 (a) in the OIAA Constitution. The chapter will elect an OIAA delegate who will represent the K-W OIAA on the provincial executive. The immediate past president shall also serve on the executive, but this is not an elected position.
- Elections shall be held every year in the month of April. Nominations will be accepted by the sitting secretary. Nominations may be accepted from the floor of the day of the election. The member who captures the majority of eligible votes attains the position. Eligible voters are OIAA members who have designated the K-W OIAA as their chapter. OIAA members from other chapters may not vote in the K-W OIAA election. Voting shall be by secret ballot, and the presiding officer shall be the immediate Past President for the chapter, or in the alternative, a Past President of the chapter. The Past President shall cast the deciding vote in the event of a tie.
- The social members are permitted to vote for the social director positions only. In the event of a tie, the current President may cast the deciding vote.
The chapter executive and 51% of the chapter designated K-W OIAA members can vote to dissolve the chapter. Membership in K-W OIAA will revert to the Provincial OIAA or an alternate chapter of the individual member’s choice. All funds of the K-W OIAA chapter will revert to the Provincial OIAA to be distributed on a pro rata basis to the chapters which the former K-W OIAA members are transferred to. No funds will be distributed to social members.
All discipline matters pertaining to K-W OIAA members must be referred to the Provincial OIAA, for consultation. All discipline relating to social members and social member positions must be investigated and resolved by the K-W OIAA. Social membership can be removed with a majority vote of the chapter executive.
- Fiduciary Responsibility
The chapter agrees that it must govern itself financially in the best interest of the OIAA and the K-W OIAA. Each year it will file the appropriate taxes with the Canada Revenue Agency. It will not contractually obligate the OIAA in any manner, for any reason without the express written permission of the OIAA.
- Crest and Logo
The Official crest of the K-W OIAA shall be as shown below:
No use of or reproduction in any form of that crest shall be allowed without written consent of the K-W OIAA executive council.
The official media of the K-W OIAA shall be the K-W OIAA Bulletin with editors appointed by the executive council. The official website of the K-W OIAA will be http://www.kw-oiaa.ca/ with editors appointed by the executive council. Both shall record the activities of the K-W OIAA and matters of general interest to the members and shall publish notice of all regular meetings. Copies of the bulletin will also be posted on the K-W OIAA Website. The K-W OIAA will also make use of appropriate social media outlets. A social media director will be appointed by the executive council.